Cool things, shower thoughts, advice, and independent thinking from someone who’s been around the sun a few times.
- Clickbait titles amuse me and I couldn’t resist. Anyway, I’ll reveal the hack over the next few posts. Here’s the first part. Go find a BMR calculator that includes activity level. This one seems to work well. Enter in the data and see what your number is. Now here’s the crazy part – go eat less than that number. I guarantee you’ll loose weight. Boom! Mind blown. More to come.
- I was fascinated by this article. I had no idea that there was such a thing as the Open Skies Treaty and we actually let other countries conduct surveillance flights over our military installations. I can’t decide if it’s no big deal, or our openness will come back to bite us some day.
- I haven’t been very good lately at keeping up with friendships. The older you get the harder it is. It’s certainly a perishable skill that I need to work on. Been thinking about it, so I contacted a couple of buddies I hadn’t seen in a while and made arrangements to meet for lunch and a couple of beers. It felt good. Go do the same.
- Watched “The Dawn Wall” last night. Well worth a watch but not as well done as “Free Solo”. The “rules” for big wall free climbing are unclear and the movie never explains it, so there are parts that may leave you wondering why they’re doing some of the things they do. At any rate, I may have to go dig out the climbing shoes. What could go wrong?
- I’ve never been a huge fan of Lindsey Vonn. Her persona always seemed very cold. I was more of a Julia Mancuso fan. Lindsey recently launched a YouTube channel. She’s much warmer than I thought and has a dry sense of humor you don’t normally see.
- I made a huge step in my street photographs. I actually went up to someone as asked if I could take their picture. If you’re not an extrovert this is a very weird and intimidating thing to do with a stranger. Wasn’t a great picture, but I crossed that hurdle.
- Data tampering? But, they’re scientists how could this be? In related news, U.S. Oct-March temps were the third coldest recorded. But whatever.
- Both political parties are full campaign mode trying to inflame their bases. Independent of the realties of each sides message, the left has gone full negative by devoting all its time to attacking the president. Traditionally people want to vote for something, not against something. It will be interesting to see what happens this go-round.
- The Insta360 looks extremely cool. Inspiring enough I may have to dig out the GoPro and film something.
Song of the day: Florence + The Machine “Kiss with a fist”
A random list of things and shower thoughts that an old Gen X dude finds cool or worth pondering.
- Why in the world didn’t I come up with the idea for a blog entirely about Bloody Marys? I’m not big on research, but that I could get into.
- I bought new stall mats for my home garage gym. It hasn’t helped my workouts any, but I’m happier doing them. I can get very obsessed with thinking that if I just had this piece of equipment it would make all the difference… (it doesn’t).
- I thought it was a cute rural saying the first time I heard it. I’ve now had multiple patients ask me how they ‘caught’ the diabetes. How is it possible that in this era there are still people who think you catch diabetes?
- I finally watched Free Solo. As a novice, sometimes climber, it was hard to watch. I have just enough experience to truly appreciate what he did. Also, to realize what a nutjob you have to be to do it. I do not understand that level of risk taking.
- The interesting result of my carb blowout on vacation was how bad I actually felt. It was a bloated, sluggish feeling. My stomach was definitely not right. If I find the right plate of nachos I’ll drop keto in a heartbeat… until then I’m back to a more restrictive eating pattern.
- I don’t think the younger generations can really appreciate the marvel that is modern technology today. While on vacation I noticed the hotel we were at had three three flags flying on their flagpole. I’m not good with state and country flags and didn’t know two of them, so I took out the device of all knowledge and searched. In about 30 seconds I knew that one was a state flag and the other turned out to be the flag of a country that purchased the hotel a few years ago. It wasn’t that long ago you would have had to go to the library and check out books to find that info. Who would have bothered? Amazing.
- Today’s the day I have my first dermatologist appointment. Sunburned and peeling badly. He’s going to love me.
- I’m becoming obsessed with finding services that can make life easier. Blue Apron and HelloDinner, Instacart, Bird and Lime scooters, Uber and Lyft. What other services are worth looking at?
- I posted my first Instagram story. Exactly one person viewed it. This may or may not continue.
Song of the day: Dannic “Doster”
A random list of things and shower thoughts that an old guy (who still thinks he’s 20) finds cool or worth pondering.
- Extreme hot weather, and the number and intensity of hurricanes, tornados, and wildfires, has not increased. Please change my mind that this is not true. Because if it isn’t… how is climate becoming more “extreme”?
- The first bendable phones will be pricy gimmicks. The bendable screen technology however, will fundamentally change how we interact with all devices – not just phones.
- I have new skis, and it looks like I won’t be able to get to the mountain because there’s too much snow. This is a cruel irony.
- Delirium Tremens, or the DT’s, are a serious thing. Dealt with two of ’em yesterday. Trust me, you don’t want to go down that road. If you currently have a drink every day… it may be time to take a break.
- I stumbled on a video showing the trek to the Everest base camp last night. I don’t think I’d ever do it, but it is intriguing.
- I started using a grocery list app. Why did I not do this before?
- I’ve never understood why the first planetary outpost should be mars? Trialing technology on the moon seems far more practical than waiting for ~ a year+ travel time to mars. Cool to see a private company getting the ball rolling.
- Still haven’t done an Instagram story. Can’t get past the awkward, self-consiousness of talking out loud to my phone. Maybe tomorrow.
Song of the day: Portugal. The man. “Woodstock”