Cool things, random thoughts, advice, and independent thinking from someone who’s been around the sun a few times.
- The receipt for my WordPress renewal showed up in my inbox this morning and reminded me that I haven’t bothered writing anything since April. There’s a number of reasons for it, but mostly I have the attention span of a hamster. The number of hobbies I have divided by the available hours in the day plus day-to-day life activities is a mathematical problem that would take some theoretical Einstein/Stephen Hawking level shit to solve.
- I’ve experimented with a bullet journal in the past. I’m not one for carrying around a book, so I opted for an electronic version. Maybe it’s time to revisit it to try and keep myself somewhat focused.
- Speaking of minimalism, I’m trying a new wallet. I liked the previous one, but it had no option for cash and I didn’t care for how it slid around in my pocket. I just got this one and so far so good.
- Staying on the EDC theme, I stumbled on the KeySmart. I really like it… except I literally have only two keys on my keychain. Probably not worth it.
- Very intrigued by the new Mavic Mini. That would mean committing to actually making videos, which should be easy since I built a PC specifically for video editing. The problem is that I need to get over my aversion to speaking to a camera and videoing myself. As they say, I have a face for radio.
- I finally got around to getting my TSA Precheck. Renewed the passport. Now it’s time to watch 1,200 hours of YouTube videos on where to travel. I anticipate actually booking a trip sometime in 2021.
- November was rough in the exercise department. I got sick, recovered, and then got my first ever case of food poisoning… resulting in a nightmare 14 hour airline travel day. Recovered, then crashed on the motorcycle and messed up my foot. Grrrr.
- Generally I do better with goals. When I have something to plan and focus on I’m more likely to train and stay committed. I’ve been toying with a crazy (for me) running goal, but can’t decide if I want to commit to the required training time. Or if I could even do it. I’ll have to decide in January. Stay tuned.
- Mrs Troutdog got me the PowerBeats Pro. I’ve never worn earbuds before. It’s been nice to get back into to music.
- A podcast worth listening to: Joe Rogan with Tulsi Gabbard and Jocko Willink.
Song of the day: Fight! Smash! Win! Street Sweeper Social Club
A random list of things and shower thoughts that an old Gen X dude finds cool or worth pondering.
- The American middle class is shrinking… but it’s because more people are moving to upper income levels, not dropping down. This is not what we’re being told (and not what I thought). The point of this is that you always need to be thinking like a contrarian. The narrative pushed in the media is not always true. Being a skeptic is good.
- Speaking of media narratives… clearly these “journalists” failed to do even the most basic research when they declared the recent flooding as due to, wait for it, climate change! Unfortunately that region floods and has been doing so forever. But it’s different this time I suppose.
- Here’s a cool animation of the worlds most populous cities by year from 1500 to 2018.
- I went to the golf driving range yesterday. It went about as expected. Which means poorly. I came home and was in the process of scheduling a lesson when I stopped. I realized that of the 47 different hobbies I have, golf is not important enough to me to invest more time in. I’ll continue to play from time to time, but I no longer care. I’ll go flail about and enjoy the company and walk. A good decision I think.
- A hobby I do care about is photography. I did an hour walk downtown to grab some photos. I got absolute crap because I wasn’t focused and didn’t pay attention to what I was doing. I will be renewing my efforts to learn and get better. What I can’t decide is sharing my work – do I post the good the bad and the ugly or just the occasional few I really like?
- For the most part the media is unable to admit they were wrong about the Mueller investigation. They continue to double down. One of the best examples is chief Trump obsessed former republican morning host Joe Scarborough. The title of this mornings column is “The Mueller war is over – and President Trump won”. That is also the first sentence of his column. Literally the second sentence and every remaining paragraph is dedicated to declaring how horrible Trump is. Good grief. I don’t like Trump, but at this point I’ll vote for him just because I like seeing these pompous media asses get kicked in the teeth.
- I made a bold move yesterday and decided to go minimal with my wallet. I rarely carry cash and wanted something that would fit in my front pocket. Ordered one of these. Stay tuned for a review.
- Having hit my weight goal, I now need to decide if I’m going to continue down the keto road, or transition to a paleo-ish low glycemic way of eating? I don’t know yet. Part of me wants to continue keto for a while longer and then check my blood markers. Curious if this has impacted my triglycerides? The other part of me wants nachos.
Song of the day: Rage Against the Machine, “Guerrilla Radio”
EDC. Every Day Carry. Crazy popular right now. Tons of sites and YouTube channels dedicated to EDC. What started out as primarily referring to daily conceal carry firearms and self defense paraphernalia (as opposed to your regular duty weapon and gear), EDC now encompasses everything on your person.
Most EDC YouTube channels will feature everything in your pockets, purse, and backpack. All the crap you carry around everyday. I’ve been hooked on these channels because I like gear and they have tons of neat stuff. Push button key organizers, titanium slim wallets, ultra-mini led flashlights, pocket knives, mini pepper spray dispensers, etc… I love it. And, I never buy any of it.
I’m cheap and I’m simple. My EDC consists of the following:
- Old, very thin wallet with 4 cards and zero cash (I don’t remember the last time I carried cash).
- Key ring with: car key, house key, mailbox key.
- Handkerchief. What can I say? My nose runs. Constantly.
- Mini single blade pocketknife.
That’s it. I can’t fathom why you’d need anything else? When I worked in an office environment I added a small bag with a laptop and a few pens and a phone charger. When I go to work now the only additional thing I bring is a water bottle to hold myself accountable for drinking enough H2O. I laugh when I see my coworkers walking in with a full backpack or tote, a lunch bag, and a giant purse. What the hell is in all those bags that you can’t live without? And women, for gods sake what do you carry in those giant purses? Do you really need all of it EVERY DAY?
To the original EDC concept… I’m not opposed to conceal carry and have thought about it from time to time. Then I remember I’m exasperated when I have one too many keys on my keychain. I can’t imagine how annoyed I’d be remembering to put on a holster every morning to run an errand. Then again, I live in a very safe city. If I lived in Atlanta, Houston, LA, New York… maybe I’d change my tune. And when the zombie apocalypse hits, I’m definitely SOL.
So – what’s your EDC and why? Is it time I become more adult and ramp up what I’m carting around with me every day? I have to admit that titanium push button wallet looks very cool. And I’m enamored with the North Face Access pack. I just don’t know what I’d put in it. Like the Seinfeld episode, just crackers and a newspaper probably.